Jump to content
EN
Play

Forum

Magenta

Tanker
  • Posts

    5 849
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

Everything posted by Magenta

  1. We should get a discord server for this too :D. Should I create one?
  2. I sniff that it's coming soon to us everyday commoners :ph34r:.
  3. Magenta

    Interrogating The Helpers: Wiki Editors

    Greetings, interview-lover! Or perhaps you're a lover of good interviews, not just any. No matter, for I shall not let you be disappointed, for you have done me the honour of your company! All you have to do, of course, is scroll. Well, get on with it! Oh no wait deng sorry umm I forgot the traditional intro, so, umm... In this interview series, I am going to pick 4 (or as many as are available, which is 2 in this case) helpers from each helper group, and interrogate them until they spill some beans. For this time, it's The Wiki Editors! Welcome 'em! Participants: @Hexed @Marc (he recently quit Tanki, but that was after this interview was conducted[1]) In charge of: Editing The Wiki. Hello! Welcome to the interrogation chamber. Why don't you tell us a bit about yourselves, before we move on to the more interesting topics... I'm itching. @Hexed: Hi, thanks for having me in this interview! ...this is an interrogation, not an interview.. and we'll see how thankful you are by the time we are done ... I'm Hexed, and I hail from Islamabad, Pakistan. I'm currently working as a Wiki Editor and Newspaper Reporter for the English Community. I enjoy playing XP/BP - though I'll be honest, I haven't played a real match in ages; doing parkour and having fun here and there, helping people out in the game and the forum, and all in all, just having a great time. If we talk about sports, I mostly do horseback riding, football and sometimes, some eighteen holes of golf. @Marc: Well, I'm Marc (surprise, right?), I'm from Melbourne, Australia, for those of you who don't know, I am currently a Wiki Editor, Newspaper Editor, and in charge of the Tanki Thinking Challenge. Oh yes, I'm also the king of generic introductions, can't forget that one! I am also a professional procrastinator, though that goes without saying when you're part of the Newspaper team :x. I guess I'm rather active around in the Forum and I just enjoy doing what I do. :D As Wiki Editors, what unique privileges and powers do you enjoy? @Hexed: Well, for starters, Wiki Editors are a group of people that have been given access to contribute to, edit and update the Official Wiki - the literal encyclopedia of the game and the finest source of information and knowledge within the game. These people spend their day keeping the Wiki relevant, well-structured and most importantly, updated with the latest revisions or changes made in the game. Of course, like any other job, we are compensated for our work and have our very own group paint, Reporter. We can also be nominated for Best Wiki Editors every month. Other than this, we spend time in the Wiki Hub collecting feedback and suggestions for the Wiki, make a list of the most interesting changes and then edit the respective page based on the suggestion. We also work with Editors of other communities and help each other out from time to time. However, do note that based on popular assumption, Wiki Editors do not, in fact, receive any information or files about an update or event early - they get it once/after the patch/update/event goes live. @Marc: As the other Helpers, we receive powers necessary for us to execute our role. In our case, we are given the privilege of being able to edit the Wiki. Everything we do is monitored, so we are expected to take our roles very seriously. The best privilege really is being able to contribute to Tanki, and knowing that we help make Tanki's most trusted source of information even better than it already is. Alright, enough praise for the Wiki. But how exactly does it work? How do you guys maintain it? How do you make new pages? Is it a simple process, like making a new topic on the forum, or does it involve an immense amount of code? @Hexed: We click this small green button called 'Edit' to basically do what its name suggests, edit pages. To create a new page we have to create something called a "redlink" - a page that doesn't exist in the Wiki. We can then edit this page and save it as a new page in the Wiki. All of this is pretty easy and simple stuff, pretty much exactly the same as you would contribute to pages on Wikipedia, except that only certain people, that is us, edit pages in Tanki Online. As for the code, well yes, it's a very daunting task - something you can't learn in a day and then repeatedly do every single other day. It takes a lot of expertise and knowledge to maintain and improve pages, otherwise, you just find yourself strangled in hundreds or thousands of letters of code. Using the forum only seems simple because you're not looking at the clear picture. If you'd like to see a fraction of what it's like to edit Wiki pages, open the forum on mobile, edit a post of yours that contains different font styles and colours, and be amazed! @Marc: Well, we are able to "edit" or "create" a page, like with the Forum, but the rest is completely different. We don't have the privilege of an expansive text editor to automatically edit our pages for us, instead, we have to manually code everything. Essentially, it's like writing a Forum post ... except you do it entirely in the BBCode, without the assistance of a text editor. We 'maintain' pages by updating it whenever a relevant update hits. We try to keep every page up-to-date, but it's rather difficult when there are around 4,700 pages. When it comes to creating new pages, it's always different. Some pages are easy to make, because we have a basic template of how the page is to be (eg. Paints' individual pages follow a constant structure), but it then comes down to the amount of information you want to put in. I remember when I was working on the Other Maps page, it took me around 7-10 days of constant work (I'm talking 2-5 hours daily). I made it from scratch and crammed 7 years worth of information into one page, it was ridiculously hard, and required contacting a lot of people. It was approximately 50,000 characters long xD. *Immediate respect* So, pretty tough job, huh? But then, you should be getting good rewards for your hard work. What do you feel about having to share the paint with the Reporters, and not having a unique colour for your name on the forum's list of "Users online"? @Hexed: I was already a Newspaper Reporter before becoming a Wiki Editor, and so... I didn't really care that I was getting the same paint as well as no forum colour. I joined because of the sole opportunity to contribute towards the community and work with a new set of people. As Marc said (will say), most of us already have a forum colour from another job, like I do with the Newspaper Reporters group. @Marc: In all honesty, I barely play anymore, so the greatest reward is recognition and appreciation for me. If someone leaves a page knowing more than what they did prior, I'm happy. On having to share the paint with Reporters, well, I do think it's a bit silly, even if we had a crappy paint for namesake, it'd be cool, but I don't really care. I never applied for the Paint (I mean, who would? It's hideous! xD). For the 'unique colour,' Wiki Editors and Admins used to have the white colour but don't actually require any Forum powers, hence the absence of colour. However, most of us already have a job which gives us a colour anyway :D. You guys don't seem to get inflamed easily, eh? Well, what do you have to say about the fact that no Wiki editor got the Helper of The Year title (except @Maf, but he's an admin + he didn't get it for his Wiki work, or at least that's what was written in the topic) this time? @Hexed: Oh right, so first of all, there are many requirements that need to be fulfilled by the nominee in order to finally achieve the very title, and one of them is the time one has remained working and active in the job - which is generally around six months. I joined Wiki Editors in around the end of July, so that put me out of the equation. Of course, there can be exceptions but again, there are a ton of other requirements as well. @Marc: That's a rather political question. To be honest, it was a bit disappointing considering I believed that I worked quite hard through the year, though joining late. I enjoyed my work, so ultimately, that was more important for me. Alright, I'll ease the interrogation. What's the thing you hate most about your job? @Hexed: The most annoying thing is when you write up a whole bunch of code for a page, save changes to preview it, but there's an error somewhere and you can't find it no matter what you do. It wastes so much time that eventually you rage quit for the moment xP. @Marc: Having to do interviews like these :x. If you were given the choice and the power to oust your current, and perhaps much oppressive, admin, and install in his place a new one, who would you choose as your new oppressor? @Hexed: Definitely @Impulse, but the real question is, why should I oust my current Admin? He's very good and generous, gives us some of the many Golds he's been hoarding over the past few months, and even lets us take breaks! Oh @Maf, look at what these newbies think about you... @Marc: #BringBackShad :ph34r:. What do you feel about our not-so-new CM? Has he been much of a force on the Wiki? @Hexed: Lol, Nives? He's been very helpful and is always available to do so whenever we require him to help us with something. @Marc: Sergei's great. Whenever there's a possible discrepancy or doubt, he's the final one to go to. Although, he isn't really needed so much on the Wiki front, but is very useful for my other jobs. What would be a few key, specific qualities that would be necessary for doing your job? @Hexed: Key, specific qualities required to do my job? Hmm, I'd definitely say that being organized, as well as knowing your way around the game's components - like files, old announcements, the forum etc. - are the two most obvious traits one should have. This is obviously because as a Wiki Editor, you need to be well informed of where everything resides or is located. For example, if you're looking for the date on which Hornet was released, you should know that an announcement was made on the front page of the game's website. Similarly, being determined to finish the task you've been provided is also a great characteristic to have that most of us have difficulty with at the newbie stage of when we become Wiki Editors. @Marc: Resourcefulness is vital. You need to be able to carry out your job efficiently and possibly without receiving any information beforehand. This means scavenging through official documents trying to find information. When I was making the "Other Maps" page, it took me around 12 hours to create; partially due to coding and also due to looking everywhere for any information/pictures that I could use for the page. Since you guys are The Wiki Editors, some of the wisest and most knowledgeable people in this game, you must be knowing who @Godmode_ON is. So, who is he? @Hexed: A hooman ofc. @Marc: ^Lies! He's actually an alien from space, but we were paid to keep it a secret. Ok, now I shall end this drudgery... last question... Did you enjoy this rather unusually long interview? Anything you would like to add? Fancy another interview? @Hexed: Albeit the unusual lengthiness of the interview, I did enjoy working with you Mag, it was quite fun after a while. But nein! Pls no more, no more!!1!!1!1!!!1 @Marc: Plz no... this interview was long ... too long. Meh, disrespectful kids.. anyway, nice to have you! Bai! @Hexed: Cya. @Marc: Ciao. Which group should I interview next? Yes, I'm going to do 'em all, but whom should I do next? Which group are you most interested in? Flood the comments below with your answers, which I'm TOTALLY GOING TO LISTEN TO. Oh, and, um, leave an up-vote behind! Unless you want a guy in a black hood with an axe in hand to knock at your door. Which is understandable. That being said, cya'll. Other writings by me:More interviews by me: -An Expert's Extensive Guide On Onions And What To Do With Them-Personality Cut Down: Cutting Nives with Knives -5 Magic Tricks You Can Perform In Tanki-Personalities of Yesterday: Night-Sisters -The Paint Invasion - Strategy Room-Interrogating The Helpers: Reporters -Mag's Journals: My Visit To The EN Reporters' HQs - Part 1-Interrogating The Helpers: Forum Moderators -Part 2 - My Visit To The EN Reporters' HQs [Mag's Journals]-Interrogating The Helpers: Wiki Editors -Dear Love -Lost To The Snow (Published in the 78th Issue of The Newspaper) Footnotes:
  4. BTW that one by Hexed was a real twister, albeit the title kinda gave it away, I guess?
  5. x1 125 Double Armours Set x1 3.5 Crystals Pack x1 5 Golds Set
  6. Magenta

    «Lanafles» Creative Community

    Wee cg cg <3.
  7. Bro what :mellow:.
  8. And MUs :ph34r:. Rip Forester.... you've been a true legend :(.
  9. Magenta

    Graphic Nation

    Dude, you need to step down the topaz... you're overshooting :P. Consult tousif xP.
  10. Magenta

    Generalissima's TO CHARITY TOPIC

    If you say so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
  11. Of course. Spelling and that kinda stuff has never been easy for tamkers :ph34r:.
  12. Magenta

    Generalissima's TO CHARITY TOPIC

    I'm merely giving you a recommendation, in order to make things easier for everyone :( no need to take offence! Perhaps you misunderstood me... I'm not asking you to give me ownership of the topic so that I can format it, lol... I can just PM you the formatted version, and you can copy the BBcode into this topic. I'm just trying to help :).
  13. Magenta

    Generalissima's TO CHARITY TOPIC

    Yep yep good job.
  14. Magenta

    Material Megathread

    I've found this extremely useful, thanks!
  15. Magenta

    [Community HQ] now OPEN

    Will Tanki celebrate this year's Fifa World Cup?
  16. Hey guys! Which legend would you like to see interviewed next in this series?
  17. Magenta

    «Lanafles» Creative Community

    The fireflies are packed too close... space them out, reduce their numbers, and that ovalish shape is unrealistic... make it a half circle or oval at least :/.
  18. Magenta

    Matchmaking is coming May 29th

    Does the system take into account the ratings system?
  19. Magenta

    Generalissima's TO CHARITY TOPIC

    Yeah, unfortunately I didn't notice this at first :P: You guys should format this topic better - ask me if you need help ;).
  20. Code to Zero, by Ken Follet. Fast-paced, thrilling, keeps me awake at night, classic Follet. Too generic? GO READ IT AND WE'LL SEE!
  21. Can we, umm, post again if we discover a mistake :3? Pleaj?
  22. Magenta

    Generalissima's TO CHARITY TOPIC

    I would really like a rename pass. My case: 1) When I originally got this nickname, I thought of it as a cool version of the word "Magnet" (Magnet as a nickname would be too generic), a word I was naive enough to think of as something I came up with independently. However, after I got this nickname, people started pointing out that Magenta was the name of a colour, and, on googling it, I was frankly nauseated. I think it burnt my eyes a bit. 2) People's first impression is that I'm a girl, because, you know, magenta=pink pink=female => Magenta=female, #InternetLogic obviously. Though such impressions are short lived due to my ruthlessness, several incidents have occurred... 3) I was called "fancy pink" http://en.tankiforum.com/index.php?showtopic=369400&p=6448960 4) A guy implied that he had a crush on me, and wanted to date. I sarcastically posted a giant kiss image on his topic, but thanks to @Hate that got removed promptly. However, the guy obviously didn't get the sarcasm, and PMed me asking for my FB. ._. http://prntscr.com/is4dwy 5) My favourite colour is orange, magenta is ugly. The colour, not the person. 6) I'm having trouble getting myself a good avatar, since a good one usually is supposed to contain the nickname, and it's awkward to have a cool grey metal avatar with "Magenta" written on me. And I really need a good avatar, for my AWS work. My current nickname is a heavy obstacle to achieving respect. 7) Pls *looks with anime eyes*! I don't want people's first impressions of me to be so wildly inaccurate :/
×
×
  • Create New...