-
Posts
3 454 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
7
Everything posted by LittleWillie
-
Yes, 12 accounts (not people) per clan is nowhere near the critical mass needed to sustain a team in the long run. If this notion of "hire 'em and fire 'em" clan membership becomes the norm that will remove the usefulness of clan chat. Didn't thnk about that. And in extending that thought ... all these notions of expanding a clan and special currency [cough] rubles! [cough] are also obsolete. Why expand a clan when you are just 'renting' your memberships? Tanki had high hopes for the cash grab clan system. Get a license fee then milk the rubes for rubles to grow their clanst. But they've made the barrier to entry too high to make these secondary sales. These Tanki people are just out out of their competency. They do not understand their own systems. As for Tanki's chose marketing method that's obvious: Annoy the customer to the breaking point so they gratefully open their wallets to obtain releif. Maybe that's how marketing works in Russia but that approach fails in te USA.
-
Patch Update #437 - Player Ratings plus additional fixes
LittleWillie replied to theFiringHand in News Archive
This is on the Client -
ITEM 1: Lag has grown notably worse this weekend and worse still today. It used to be I'd have rotten performance when I joined a game but after a minute or two it'd be OK. Now the laggy performance lasts ... pretty much the whole game. Even driving in a straight line is choppy and unstable. I find myself wondering if this marvelous and affordable Clan system with it's new overhead is behind this further loss of quality service. ITEM 2: BlackWasp posted on how Clan membership is apt to have a lot of turnover. That got me thinking. I think I've sussed out how this Clan system will end up. I think it is safe we generally assume a Clan will be a collection of friends that stick together over the long haul. Nope. This sort of Clan will exist but it will be an extreme minority. Because why? Because in a 24-hour game it is almost impossible getting 12 players to schedule their play time for a clan battle - not when some people live in the USA other Russia and others Sri Lanka, Matla and Moldavia. So a Clan owner will simply round up temporary clan members for a clan battle then boot them out afterwards. Let's say you are a Clan owner and you see a 2nd clan has set up a clan battle. You go to chat, round up a bunch of people, add them to your clan, and go off to battle. When the competition is done the Clan Owner boots everyone out of the Clan. So if you really want to play Clan battles assume you will have to buy your own license. It's that or hand arund chat hoping for an Onwer to come along. And of course this Clan system is what Tanki tells us is how to fight off cheaters and mults. So there's Tanki's policy - You're gonna be victims unless you pay up the $36. And a side-effect to THAT is what another player suggested ;;; that Clan Owners will start demanding their members pay them to be allowed to join. I'm pretty disgusted at that.
-
Patch Update #437 - Player Ratings plus additional fixes
LittleWillie replied to theFiringHand in News Archive
For me at least the fancy new setting menu has a tiny little flaw: It does not remember my settings. Every time I log into the game... re-do my settings. Today I learned if I change servers ... re-do my settings. Funny thing ... I thought "settings" implied a state of duration, i.e. to "set" something in place. If anyone wonders why I consider Tanki;'s programmers to not be very good at their job here's yet another example. -
This is basically how I see it. There's losing teams and there's LOSING teams. Call it 5 categories of games. 1) Hopeless/inept/sabotaged team loss for you 2) A loss looks likely but the team is fighting hard 3) The ideal - those thrilling close games 4) A win looks likely but the enemy is not giving in 5) You're camping the enemy's spawn sites Cats 1 and 5 are blowouts that may as well end quickly. Get on to te next game. Obviously a player is going to stick around in Cats 3, 4, 5 to claim the Crystal reward. So the problem is is players quitting Cat 2 games thus turning them into Cat 1 games. We want a change that works the other way. We want players to stick around Cat 2 games. This should also redeem a few Cat 1 games. In my opinion the problem lies in the Crystal reward system. I just finished a game when my team won, but the enemy team had many players with better Exp points than our guys. I know I leave games early because of Crystals not Exp. The payout imbalance is just too extreme. It is a better use of one's time to find a competitive or victorious game. So the issue becomes finding a system that will reward a good performer on a losing team - while at the same time substantially rewarding the winning team, That's probably not an easy needle to thread. I certainly do not have an answer. One thought I had earlier was to award every player a fixed amount of Cry / minute played in that game assuming that player stayed until the game ended. A participation prize so to speak. That fee would be the same win or lose ... Or perhaps the loser whould get somewhat more for the incentive to stay? Of course that's just one thought , and it'd that would be only one of the factors that'd go into the entire payout formula.
-
Posted 05 Feb 2017 - 19:40 Cedric Debono, on 03 Feb 2017 - 04:57, said: How disingenuous of you. $36 is $36 even if it is spread out. It is not a"pittance" Not when the avowed purpose of tis system is to protect against mults and cheaters. Honest players should be protected against cheaters without being shaken down with extra fees. Also good strong points against this bait-and-switch money-grab.
-
"no kill" i forgot the biggest one: In DM, "team?" Might as well type "cheat?" I swear in one 5 player game, 3 players decided to team in Skybox! So they got to a corner laid out a unch of mines arounf the buildings and huddled there. Thing is, in DM there is no reason to assault a defensive point or even go near it, not on a big map like that. So the brave brave Sir Robins had a real exciting match I guess. I never saw 'em again after I saw what they were doing. 3 out of 5 on one team! lol
-
Patch Update #436 - Clan system and other changes
LittleWillie replied to theFiringHand in News Archive
But BlackWasp, when one is running a colossal money grab, one approves of getting the rubes to pay twice. Or put more civilly, I agree that you have given Tanki great advice. I fully expect 80% of the first clans to go through your scenario. These players will rightly feel abused thus adding their resentment to those players who were aghast at being lied to about the nominal cost. All in all, this release represents a quite cynical abuse by the company of its customer base. It's quite remarkable really. I get the feeling there is some core long-term player group that will accept anytihng and pay any amount of money on their addiction. Tanki is milking those players for all they are worth but at the cost of trust among the newer more discerning players. Oh well. It's theui baby. -
Well, if I join 3 accs to one clan that means that clan would have a max of 10 players because I would use 3 slots on my own. So that clans would fight a lot of 12 on 10 battles and be at the bottom of the clan list forever. Anyway, you are taking my comment to literally The points are: the value of a clan is much lower with 12 accounts than with 12 players. And 2, taki lied to us - flat out lied - when they said this system would have only a nominal cost. They then released a system with an extremely high cost.
-
Thank you for confirmin my assumption the "12 member" limit means "12 accounts" not "12 people". So I habve 3 accounts. Tha means I'd have to start 3 clans. "That will $108 please." ROFL! As if! "The clan system will only vost a few dollars." Riiiiiight. What a scam. What a rip-off. I am also going to point out this Cln susytem is Tanki supposed response to mults and sabotage. Well now yo have your answer of what Tanki thinks of sabotage and cheaters. And what they think of cheaters is, no problem. If you want protection from cheaters, that is gonna cost ya. Some people say protection from cheaters is a basic service that shoulc not have a cost. Tanki sees it as a shakedown opportunity. Never again a dime ot these people from me.
-
Don't assume a clan will hold 12 people. I assume it holds only 12 accounts. That means if I join a clan with my Smoky account and my Isida account then I have used up 2 of the 12 slots for just one player. I asked for clarification and of course it has not been clarified.
-
Tanki wants me to pay $36 for a clan but I can't even log onto the game. What a bunch or rank amateurs. I will never spend a kopek on this game again.
-
The Christmas AS Format on More Maps (& Clan Battles)
LittleWillie replied to LittleWillie in Archive
I like the idea of "featured map weekends". Like NY and Halloween a single map is added to the daily missions with an infltaed reward. Then you'd have a lot of players looking to play that map. As an added twist some of those weeks could be AS mode weeks. :) -
Thanks for reminding me to slow down my exp point gains to the minumum. Tanki Online is a fatally flawed game. I've never played a game before that discouraged gaining exp points. But let's pretend there's no problems and spend development time on a pathetic clan system that is also fatally-flawed!
-
WRONG! This place is for feedback for the devs and the devs need to hear from as many voices as possible that the new clan system iis too damn expensive! Especially since it looks like it will be a piece of stench in actual use.
-
Patch Update #437 - Player Ratings plus additional fixes
LittleWillie replied to theFiringHand in News Archive
It's good the new "Rating" is not heavily influenced by /D or else the Rating would just be another version of K/D. There' no point in having two metrics that essentially follow the same calculations. One thing is certain: th e Rating won't measure real battlefield smarts. Don't worry abou it. -
Another thought struck me so I watched the VLOG again. Clans are restricted to 12 "members". We are told how a "member" is defined. Is it an account? Or is it a player with all accounts belonging to the clan? I'll bet you it is accounts not players. Which means this clan organization is even more useless. The same players will have to create (pay for) a different clan for each one of their alts. This is just a way to extract more money from te chumps who throw hundreds of dollahs at this simple game. Forming a clan seem useless to a player like me. By "a player like me" I mean "someone who was not born yesterday"
-
Another reason this clan system is going to choke: IIRC clan members can join pro battle but not create them. This is important because in order to create a clan battle, one needs to create a Pro battle. Therefore only the Clan Commander can creae a clan battle, unless each member has his Pro Pass. So we have clans of 12 members. Not everyone plays at the same time so any Clan battle is limited to the number of people who happen to be on at the moment. But some people onlie are going to be interested insomething else - maybe their daily missions - and decline the Clan Battle. But worse no clan Battles will begin unless the Clan Commander happens to be on to create the batt.e. Then after all that you have to hope another clan with the same number of players online finds and decides to join your game. Look at all the hurdles. Clearly there will be few if any random clan battles. In order to get a clan battle, clans will have to schedule them.... that means talking to all members and ging back and forth to find an acceptable time for all. And hoping they actually show up. After a couple weeks oif this players will leave their clans for greener pastures. Leaving the orginal clan commander with a $36 clan consisting of himself. This is a system so cumbersome I cannot see anything but failure. An online group of 12 people has no staying power, so 24-hour presense. This is going to rake is a pile of money for Tanki and it's gonna leave a lotta clan commanders with "buyer's remorse".
-
Agreed about the loss of distance effectiveness. There's no doubt that the extra impact can give you a bit extra time to shoot. problkem is, you NEED that extra time to shoot. So many 4-hot kills turn into 5-hot kills, etc. Better to just kill in 4. Well, Twins better give up something pretty good to get splash damage. It is already the sustained DPS monster. But ?I was forgetting it's have to give up something. I almsot, almost decided to go with Twins before I makde SkittleWillie Vulcan/Wasp. Aiming and shooting on the move with Twins ia a bit fun... you have to lead the target .... same skills apply to Striker. But anyway, MANY Twins players and Rico players don't turn their turrets. Twins players drive around gunning into air (letting you kn they are near / getting closer. (thank you noob). But as with every turret when you run into a player who knows how to use it ... yikes.
-
Patch Update #437 - Player Ratings plus additional fixes
LittleWillie replied to theFiringHand in News Archive
Thank you Tanki for bringing up the topics of lag and connectivity drops. That is the topic I want to hear about. Because clans? At that price? To form a group so small it is unlikely enough playewrs will be online at any one time to form one of these clan battles? A group so small that were 1-2 players stop Tanki or join another group, that the orgiinal group would be wrecked. I can tell how the griefers will exploit this. They see a clan battle with 12 on one side and a cln with 1 member online joins to lock out everyone else. Griefers grief. At the price listed this is a vast money grab that will yeild very little exta play vale. -
So a clan has a maximum of 12 plays in a 24-hour-a-day game. So at any given time 1 to 5 might be online at the same moment. Let's say 5 are on... One starts a clan battle... half the remaining clan agress to join it ... 3 players on a side. Now another Clan joins ... it has exactly one member ot that moment. No one else can join in. That'll be 36 dollars please. Umm ... I don't think so. [Not to mention that in online games, these clans are formed and fail often. A player joins your group only to find e like another group better then leaves. There's gonna be a LOT of Clan owners who paid $36 to form a clan consisting of themselves and that guy who never plays anymore. I'll be keeping my money in my wallet. YMMV]
-
Maybe I crossed columns when I was reading the data last ... I was doing the math in my head so I might have made an error in comparing the damage w/alterations. I agree with your comments on Smoky's m2 alteration. It is nice to tighten the damage distribution. On some maps it can be sorta handy. But that 40% added to reload time is huge. On a side note the same lower dps xomplaint applies to the m1 alteration. The higher impact force can be very handy too ... but once again damage is damage and in Tanki damage is king. Now that the novelty is over the un-aktered Smoky seems the best best most always. So yo are not kidding about splash damage being added to Twins? And Rico too? AS IF those turrets needed even more power. But wait sec? How can Rcso "splash" if it bounces when it hits terrain? Thanks god so many Twins and Rico players never learn to turn their turrets....
-
Patch Update #437 - Player Ratings plus additional fixes
LittleWillie replied to theFiringHand in News Archive
If you have code in your software that you know is crashing the overall program, then you must remove the problem code in order to solve the problem. If you leave the problem code in then you leave the problem in existence. So yes, what you insist will not cause crashes will indeed cause crashes. How do I know? The people who wrote the code and who know the code decided to change the code in order to stop these crashes. I leave addressing further pretzel logic and/or wishful thinking to others at this point. As for Gold BBoixes? Did I say you cannot have fun? No, I stated my opinion and that is Gold Boxes are for noobs. I don't mind they are in the game because - as with anything else in the game - I try to use them to my advantage: Scoring easy points and kills while the noobs hand them to me. -
Patch Update #437 - Player Ratings plus additional fixes
LittleWillie replied to theFiringHand in News Archive
You are neglecting the fact that the fade away aspect is causing extra crashes. They are not going to leave in the feature that causes extra crashes - not when the point to the change is to remove the factor that causes extra crashes. As for making Gold Boxes easier . less fun. Huzzah! Go;ld Boxes are for noobs. Grab one if it happens to be near otherwise cap a flag or a couple CPs and or pop a DD and slaughter noobs bleating "no kil no kill!". I rerckon a game called "Tanki Online" might be about oh I dunoo... tanks fighting tanks. Now if I had signed up for Fluffi Bunni Gummi Dropi Online then I'd be primed to catch floating prizes. Other than that I have no opinions on the subject. :mellow: -
[Special Review] New Year's Celebration: The Numbers
LittleWillie replied to Vikingsrallentando in Newspaper Archive
I stopped reading early at the first grievous math mistake... might have been in the first paragraph. When someone says a value has increased by 33% that means the new value is 133% of the old value. 133% = 4/3 not 3/2. I'm not going to waste my time reading a mathmatical "analysis" from an author who does not know the difference between 4/3 and 3/2.
Jump to content



























































